Welcome to Episode #96 of the Mile High Endurance podcast. Mile High Endurance is your weekly connection to coaches, experts and pro athletes to help you reach your endurance and triathlon goals. We're your hosts Rich Soares, Khem Suthiwan and Bill Plock. We are also joined by Tim Hola, Age Group Nationals Champion and Kona sub 10 hour finisher at the Ironman World Championship this past weekend.
Our show brought to you by 303 Triathlon and 303 Cycling are your resource for news and information on triathlon and cycling in Colorado. 303Radio is your news podcast and we are covering the news on Kona all next week. Be sure to go to 303Triathlon and check out all the coverage of Kona.
What a week that was on the big Island of Hawaii. Thanks to guest host level 3 coach Mike Ricci of D3 Multisport for joining us to bring you last week's show. We are glad you are joining us for our post Kona coverage and another week of endurance education. We are going to break down the race day coverage of Ironman Kona and spend some time talking to Tim Hola to pass along some insights about the race and give you some things to contemplate for those planning to get qualify and race Kona.
We recorded last week's show on Thursday afternoon in to give us time to get it edited and published on time. The bummer is we missed some of the events from Friday and race day that we are going to recap right now for you.
- Meet up with Poncho Man after the 303 Athlete breakfast and Lava Java. When we interviewed Tim O'Donnell, Bob Babbitt, and Mike Reilly at Huggo's on Monday, we got to meet Poncho who does the ukulele music for Breakfast with Bob. We got to chatting with him during Bob's interviews and he did our 303Radio jingle. If you haven't heard it, go to 303Triathlon.com and click on any of the interviews in the 303Radio pane. He did such an awesome job, we wanted to show our appreciation so we delivered a gift bag with a bottle of gin, a 303Triathlon trucker hat and a bumper sticker. While there, he also knocked out the Mile High Endurance into jingle. He is super talented and recommend you check him out @ponchoman.kuanoni
- Bob Babbitt's Thank God I'm Not Racing Party
- Guests we talked to (or got selfies with):
- 2005 Ironman Champion and coach Faris Al-Sultan, coach to the new Ironman World Champion and record holder Patrick Lange
- Coach Jim Vance, author of The Complete Guide to Running with Power, Triathlon 2.0 and co-author of Triathlon Science
- Mark Allen, 89, -93, 95
- Mark Mastilir, Halo Neuroscience
- Who else?
- Guests we saw
- 2004 and 2006 Ironman Champion, Norman Stadler
- Joanna Zeiger
- Who else?
- Saturday's Race
- Bill's highlights
- Khem's highlights
- Rich's highlights
- Setting up in the Press room
- Recording the drums and cannon
- Swim exit
- Hi 5's at the Hot Corner
- Pro Finish
- AG Finish
- Jamie's story
- Two post cut off finish
- Tim Hola
- We spoke a few days before the race, how did the rest of your race prep go?
- You've seen the race go from a mass start for both men and women to separate mass starts for each men and women, contrast what the difference from a male age-grouper's perspective?
- Questions about each the swim, bike and run legs of the race? Strategy execution? Pace? Nutrition? Environmental?
- Monday morning quarterback - what went well? What you would do differently?
- Post-race recover?
- Advice for aspiring Kona age groupers?
- Cycling class and other ways you give back to the sport
- Free form discussion
Let's talk briefly about upcoming interviews.
- Kona race day interviews with Timothy O'Donnell and Andy Potts
- Vito La Bella on ultra running
- Jim Vance, author of The Complete Guide to Running with Power, Triathlon 2.0 and co-author of Triathlon Science
- Don Reichelt (Spartathlon Ultra)
- Joanna Zeiger - The Champion Mindset
- Erik Kenny - EK Coaching
- Kane Russell of Halo Neuroscience - Bill and I doing that interview and wearing our Halos in Kona
- Ken Axford on bike handling skills
- Billy the Kid Edwards
Please support the brands that support the show and our listeners.
- BioTropicLabs.com - BioTropicLabs develops sports supplements to give you the ultimate edge in training for sports performance success. Engineered by leading world-class athletes and trainers with well-researched best of breed products. I've started taking the AFA formulation which was developed to oxygenate muscles, boost power, increase muscle growth, heighten alertness. It's great for those high intensity sessions and I've felt pretty good the last few workouts I've been using it. Check our more at biotropiclabs.com or go to the MHE Sponsors page. Either way, use the code "MILEHIGH20" to get 20% off your order.
- Total Immersion -Use code MHETI10 to get 10% off items in your cart
- Effortless endurance for 49.99
- Freestyle mastery for 59.99.
- Get excellently design helmets, glasses and gear from Rudy Project and use code MHE30 to get 30% off your full price items.
- Check out Halo Sport from Halo Neuroscience. 20 minutes of neural priming with the Halo Headset gives you an hour of neural plasticity to work and lock in the muscle movement that leads to strength, power and endurance. Use code MHE150 to save $150.
- Give TrainingPeaks Premium account a try. Use MHE30
- All of these discounts can be found at milehighendurance on the Sponsors page.
If you are enjoying the show, please let us know by going on iTunes or your podcast player and giving us a review. We put a lot of time and energy into producing high quality interviews with the experts, coaches and pro athletes to help you grow in the sport. Pay that forward and recommend Mile High Endurance to a friend.
That's it for the show. Stay tuned, stay informed, and enjoy the endurance journey!
#IMKona #Ironman #BWBKona #MikeReilly #BobBabbitt #303Triatlon #PonchoMan