Badwater 135 Ultra-marathon is billed as the "toughest foot race on the planet". With air temperatures reaching a high of 127 degrees and pavement temperatures in the 150s, it's no wonder that only 68 of the 99 racers this year finished. What was not well known until this year's race was Don Reichelt's name. You, however, heard him back in March on the show talk about his selection for Badwater and his plans for training for this ultra tough event. Guess what, this badass got a podium of 3rd place, surprising previous record holders, podium placers, organizers and teams. Were we surprised - hell no!
Today's interview is sponsored by Riplaces - the no tie laces with custom tension for the perfect fit. Pro triathlete proven and endorsed, most durable elastic bungee lace system available and they come in the super cool MHE logo package for $19.98 https://www.riplaces.com/collections/mile-high-endurance
Thanks to last week's guest, professional mountain bike expert Ryan Petry for sharing his Haute Route recap and Leadville MTB preparation. If you missed it, go back and check out Episode #137.
Don has spent more than 7 years of my life planning and executing events, coaching endurance athletes, and running ultra distances at an elite level. He started in the event industry with as a field marketer and events manager for a major shoe company, before moving on as a one man show directing 11 different races including road running, trail running, biking, and triathlons. He also contracts out event services with numerous events from 5K to ultra distances.
He has coached multiple athletes to finishes at races from 5K to 100 miles and everything in-between. I specialize in working with athletes who want to get into ultrarunning, or who want to take their ultra running to the next level.
Don is a multiple time Ironman finisher and have competed in countless ultramarathons including 5 races of 100 miles or more with a 100 mile PR of 16:27. We can now add a 3rd place at Badwater 135 in a time of 27 hours and 8 minutes and 30 seconds. Let's get into the interview.
- Don Reichelt interview and Badwater
- Passion for burro racing
- Pacing at Leadville 100 LTR
- Run Rabbit Run 100 in September
- Khem - Ultraman Canada and support of Glenn Strebe and Mary Carey
- Bill - 303 updates, Leadville, Colorado Classic and more
- Boulder 70.3 race report
- Hydration and nutrition in the 3 days prior, including testing up to the morning of
- Friday registration
- The goggle debacle, transition neighbor, hero Steph
- Detailed results
- Last in 30-33 wave with Stacia Wilkins
- Buoy line
- 1.2 PR
- Plan for 7 20 oz bottles; 1st complete in 15 minutes; 1 custom Infinit; 6 Skratch; 1 aero bottle; 2 disposable sport bottles; picked up 2 new water bottles at aid station 1, another at aid station 2 and another at aid station 3. I had test tubes of skratch to dump into the aero bottle
- Bike not PR; avg. pwr 154; avg HR 137; could have gone harder
- 1 16 oz bottle of Skratch every 2 aid stations, plus a salt stick capsule.
- Paced to keep HR below 150 the first lap and then picked the pace up at mile 8
- In hindsight, I could have picked up the pace earlier
- No gels or bars - just fluid
- Probably signing up for Harvest Moon to see if I can execute a faster half
- We mentioned the unfortunate passing of Scott Michaelis
- Norseman Triathlon is commonly believed to be the hardest 226K Iron distance race. If you are not familiar with how freaking hard and epic this race is, we've included a video in the show notes. It is between Oslo and Bergen Norway. Richard Rozok who placed 10th at Norseman to talk about his experience and extremely well-executed race at Norseman. I forwarded a documentary of Richard's race on social media this past week. We are going to hear directly from him in the next couple of weeks.
- Ever heard of Today's Plan? This training and coaching software platform has some incredible functionality and features that coach Jim Vance is going to tell us about. I had a great demo from Jim and Benji Marshall from Today's Plan and I'm pretty blown away at how well they've addressed some things that I've struggled with.
- Matt Smith from Sansego on swim workouts designed for specific training goals, swim form, common issues, etc.
- Cliff Simms - co-founder of Retul and now working with Specialized. We're going to talk to him about the 3D Retul technology and where the product roadmap is heading and how it can help you.
Our show is also supported by 303 Endurance Network, which includes 303Triathlon and 303 Cycling, which covers the endurance culture, news and events on triathlon and cycling. Be sure to subscribe to the 303Radio podcast for great interviews.
- Josh Sprague - Leadville 100 MTB and LTR
Please support our affiliate brands that support the show and help you get faster!
- Riplaces are the no tie laces with custom tension for the perfect fit. Pro triathlete proven and endorsed, most durable elastic bungee lace system available and they come in the super cool MHE logo package for $19.98 https://www.riplaces.com/collections/mile-high-endurance
- iKOR is a clean, natural source of recovery enhancing CBD that protects your body from the stresses of training, improves recovery from intense efforts and helps you maintain a positive mental state. The most bio-available CBD product on the market, iKOR is a highly protective anti-oxidant, an effective anti-inflammatory and a powerful mood booster. WADA and USADA legal. Used by world class professional athletes. Save 20% of the regular price of $69.99 by using the code "endurance" at checkout, and your post discount price will be $56. https://www.ikorlabs.com/endurance.
- The Halo Sport from Halo Neuroscience will help you learn the technique and form to get faster. 20 minutes of neural priming with the Halo Headset gives you an hour of neural plasticity to work and lock in the muscle movement that leads to strength, power and endurance. Use code MHE150 to save $150.
- Rudy Project has the helmets, glasses and gear to help you ride safe and look great. Use code MHE30 to get 30% off your full price items. Do you know who else wears a Rudy helmet like mine?
- TrainingPeaks Premium is the full featured version of the app. Unlock the full featured app for 30 days using the code MHE30
- All of these discounts can be found at milehighendurance on the Discounts page.
If you are not following us on social media, you should. Why? You get the show announcement each weekend, plus additional links to show content. We forward information related to our guests and provide teasers for upcoming interviews. In the case of YouTube, there are videos that we share that help illustrate things like Crowie's core strength training. There is also an occasional live event and there will be more content coming.
- Facebook @milehighendurance
- Twitter @milehighpodcast
- Instagram @tripodcasterrich
- YouTube Channel @Mile High Endurance
We hope you enjoyed today's show. Please rate us on iTunes or your podcast player. Be sure you are subscribed in iTunes so you get the show automatically downloaded on Saturday evening and recommend Mile High Endurance to a friend.
Stay tuned, train informed, and enjoy the endurance journey!