Our interviews this week with Strava Co-founder Michael Horvath. Bill and I caught up with Michael about 6 weeks ago. We released the interview on 303Radio, but thought it would be a good interview to share with the MHE audience.
Thanks to last week's guests, Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), Heidi Strickler. I think you'll learn a bit from the interview. If you missed it, go back and listen to episode #132.
Michael Horvath, as you will hear shortly, graduated from Harvard with a degree in Economics. While at Harvard he was on the Crew team, which really is a big influencer in the story you are about to hear. What you will not hear in the interview is that Michael went on to get his PhD in Economics at Northwestern University. He co-founded Strava and served as CEO from 2009-2013, then became Chairman and President 2014-2017 and now serves on the Board.
I think the rest of the Michael Horvath story is better told by Michael himself. Here's the interview. We'll catch you on the other side.
- Revisit the Michael Horvath interview briefly and discussion on favorite Strava features.
- Non premium
- One of the things that seems most understood are the Privacy Settings that are available and how they impact functionality. I have to admit that I was not too familiar with the Privacy settings until doing some research before the interview. https://www.strava.com/settings/privacy
- I did a group ride last week and one of the guys forgot to start his Strava recording until half way into the ride. I don't him not to worry, that I could add the activity with "Add friend that didn't record". He was blown away. It's super easy. The person who did successfully recorded just goes to their activity after completing it. Click edit and below the Activity Privacy Settings, you'll see Add Friends to this Ride or Run or whatever.
- Beacon which is great if you have family members who are training or concerned about your safety when training.
- Live segments are pretty cool There is a segment on Deer Creek that pops up for me when I pass Valley Rd. just after the dirt parking lot. My watch beeps at me and I get a "Bill Plock Go!" message.
- Filtered Leaderboards. If I don't like the Leaderboard standards, I can filter out all the younger and skinnier guys.
- Haute Route
- Did it have a Tour-like feel?
- Pikes Peak or Bust 4th of July Ride
- Boulder Peak
- Quick project "Fat Burn" update
- Alison Freeman on training and racing in the heat
- We will have Simone Cordrey Cotter joining us to talk about Rudy Project Project Podium
Our show is also supported by 303 Endurance Network, which includes 303Triathlon and 303 Cycling, which covers the endurance culture, news and events on triathlon and cycling. Be sure to subscribe to the 303Radio podcast for great interviews.
- How to support with Patreon
- It takes a good 5-10 hours per week to keep the show going
- There are a number of services that we pay for including website hosting, podcast content storage and streaming, etc
- Only one level right now which is a $5 donation to the show
- Your donations will go directly into equipment and services to make the quality of the show better
Please support our affiliate brands that support the show and help you get faster!
- The Halo Sport from Halo Neuroscience will help you learn the technique and form to get faster. 20 minutes of neural priming with the Halo Headset gives you an hour of neural plasticity to work and lock in the muscle movement that leads to strength, power and endurance. Use code MHE150 to save $150.
- Total Immersion -Use code MHETI10 to get 10% off items in your cart
- Rudy Project has the helmets, glasses and gear to help you ride safe and look great. Use code MHE30 to get 30% off your full price items. Do you know who else wears a Rudy helmet like mine? Matt Smith
- TrainingPeaks Premium is the full featured version of the app. Unlock the full featured app for 30 days using the code MHE30
- All of these discounts can be found at milehighendurance on the Sponsors page.
We hope you enjoyed today's show. Please rate us on iTunes or your podcast player. Be sure you are subscribed in iTunes so you get the show automatically downloaded on Saturday evening and recommend Mile High Endurance to a friend.
Happy Independence Day to our listeners in the U.S. Stay tuned, train informed, and enjoy the endurance journey!