Coach David Warden joins us to discuss his new book with Matt Fitzgerald, 80/20 Triathlon. We talk about the concept of 80/20 training, TrainingPlans, Smart Workouts in TrainingPeaks and much more.
Last week's guest
Thanks to last week's guest, Barry Siff (President of the Board for USA Triathlon) for joining us to talk about the My Time To Tri joint initiative between USAT and Ironman to introduce 100,000 new athletes to the sport of triathlon. If you haven't heard that episode, go back and check out episode 114 of MHE, or go to 303Radio on the 303Triathlon website.
Let's catch up with the coolest triathlon podcast hosts, Bill Plock and Khem Suthiwan. Happy 2nd anniversary! How are you guys doing this week?
What do you guys have for discussion topics this week?
- 8020 Endurance Plans on TrainingPeaks
- TrainingPeaks Daily Workout and Garmin 735XT
- My Time To Tri
- Spring Break and Lake Havasu Triathlon
David Warden has made numerous contributions to the sport of triathlon in his career.
- Host of the Tri-Talk Podcast. The format was science-based research on topics to help you become a faster triathlete. David covered every topic you can imagine. Nutrition, gear testing, wind tunnel tests, training with power, heart rate decoupling, and much, much more.
- Known for coaching James Lawrence, aka "Iron Cowboy" in his successful achievement of 50 Iron distance efforts in 50 consecutive days, in 50 separate and consecutive States
- Contributing author of Triathlon Science with Joe Friel
- Now co-author of 80/20 Triathlon
Host Discussion Topics
David Warden debrief:
- What did you guys think of the interview with David? How did you like the car analogy?
- 80/20 Training Plans on TrainingPeaks
- As David mentioned you can find plans for any distance and level (KungFu Panda 0 - Grandchildren will brag about you someday 3).
- There are plans based on Power and Pace or Heart Rate
- There are plans for every distance, including maintenance plans, and even 2-week trial plans with discount codes to try them for free
- The workouts are written in TrainingPeaks Workout Builder
- You can download them to your device
- If you have your pace, power and heart rate zones in TrainingPeaks, they will automatically translate the zones in the plan to your device
- I'll talk more about the TrainingPeaks Daily Workout App in a bit\
- The http://8020endurance.com/ website has
- Info on the 80/20 Running book
- TrainingPlans for running races of distances from 5K to Marathon and triathlon from Sprint to Ironman
- Strength Training, Maintenance Plans, and Plan Bundles
- 80/20 Zone Calculator
- A bunch of resources including intensity guidelines for triathlon, planning your race season and more
- The 80/20 Blog
TrainingPeaks Daily Workout and Garmin:
- If you have a Garmin device like the 935XT, 735XT or Fenix5 and you can download Garmin Apps to your device, you can download the TrainingPeaks Daily Workout app
- Be sure you have the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone first, you are logged in and your device is connected.
- You can download the TrainingPeaks Daily Workout App from Garmin Express on your desktop or Garmin Connect App on your smartphone.
- When you have downloaded it and installed it to your Garmin device, you can navigate it to it under Activities by scrolling until you get to "Apps". Select Apps and scroll until you get to TrainingPeaks and press enter. You will be prompted to go to the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone. If you have workouts on your calendar for the present day in TrainingPeaks, they will automatically download to your phone in the TrainingPeaks App. You see the workout title and can even preview the steps in the workout. These are the same steps that are in Workout Builder in TrainingPeaks.
- Start the workout and the screen will show you your current step and target effort level. It will also display your actual current effort level and the range you should be in. If you are above or below the range, it will display you are "high" or "low" (if vibrate or audio are enabled you'll get those indicators as well. When you return to the zone, it will display "training in zone".
Upcoming MHE Interviews
MHE upcoming interviews:
- Coach Will Murray on 'how to manage doubt'. If you are in the Front Range area of Colorado and you want to see Will Murray present in person on this topic, here are the details:
- "Don’t Doubt"
- Fleet Feet Boulder
- 2624 Broadway, Boulder
- Wednesday March 7, 7:05-7:45 PM
- No charge. Limited to 25 participants.
- Don Reichelt on his elite athlete selection for Badwater 135 and his coaching advise for training for that distance
- Dr. Kirk Parsley on the critical importance of sleep
303 Media Productions
Our show is also supported by 303 Media Productions, including 303Triathlon and 303 Cycling, which are your resources for news and events on triathlon and cycling in Colorado.
Please support our affiliate brands that support the show and help you get faster!
- The Halo Sport from Halo Neuroscience will help you learn the technique and form to get faster. 20 minutes of neural priming with the Halo Headset gives you an hour of neural plasticity to work and lock in the muscle movement that leads to strength, power and endurance. Use code MHE150 to save $150.
- Total Immersion -Use code MHETI10 to get 10% off items in your cart
- Rudy Project has the helmets, glasses and gear to help you ride safe and look great. Use code MHE30 to get 30% off your full price items.
- TrainingPeaks Premium is the full featured version of the app. Unlock the full featured app for 30 days using the code MHE30
- All of these discounts can be found at milehighendurance on the Sponsors page.
If you are enjoying the show, please let us know by going on iTunes or your podcast player and giving us a review. Be sure you are subscribed in iTunes so you get the show automatically downloaded on Saturday evening and recommend Mile High Endurance to a friend.
Thanks again for listening to MHE. Train well this week. Stay tuned, stay informed, and enjoy the endurance journey!