Our pre-Kona episode and another interview with former ITU professional triathlete and coach Sara McLarty. Sara joins us again to talk about a great topic for those of you who want to work on your swim speed in the off season. Sara, as you will hear, will tell us what your swimming frequency needs to be in the off season so that you turn up next season with you swim as your new weapon.
Welcome to Episode #94 of the Mile High Endurance podcast. Mile High Endurance is your weekly connection to coaches, experts and pro athletes to help you reach your endurance and triathlon goals. We're your hosts Rich Soares, Khem Suthiwan and Bill Plock.
Thanks to Sara for last weeks interview on open water sighting and heat acclimatization. If you have not heard that interview, go back to episode #93 and give it a listen.
Before we get into the interview with Sara, let's catch up with Bill and Khem.
- Khem's update
- Bill's update
- Rich's updates
- 303 Interviews with
- Chris McDonald and Andy Potts
- Coaching question: What can I do to give my off season training meaning?
- Fall - cyclocross, duathlon, marathon, mtb
- Winter - cross country skiing, biathlon
- Register for a new endurance event that you've never tried before
- Swim -
- Increase your volume and frequency, progressively
- Find a Masters program and talk to the deck coach about what lane is right for you
- Work with a good swim coach who can give you a video stroke analysis and drills to improve
- Strength training on glute, quadricep, hamstring and back strength
- Join a spin class
- Bike -
- If running is your greatest weakness, spending a training block of a couple of months focusing on running can really boost your speed
- 10% rule
- Run -
- Focus on your weaknesses
- How the Halo was invented
- Sponsored athlete TO
- Halo Sport
- MBA Opens Doors 5K Challenge
Our pre interview discussion is brought to you by 303 Triathlon and 303 Cycling are your resource for news and information on triathlon and cycling in Colorado. 303Radio is your news podcast and we are covering the news on Kona all next week. Be sure to go to 303Triathlon and 303Cycling to get the latest coverage in Colorado and Kona.
Let's talk briefly about upcoming interviews.
- Kona - select 303 interviews
- On this note, make sure you are subscribed to the MHE endurance podcast. Go to iTunes or Google Play, depending on your device, search for Mile High Endurance and click subscribe
- We will be publishing lots of interview and coverage of Kona on 303Radio - be sure to subscribe there too. The 303Radio coverage will focus on Colorado stories. There will be interviews that we'll share on MHE, particularly those that have more of an educational bent.
- Vito La Bella on ultra running
- Don Reichelt (Spartathlon Ultra)
- Ultra runners Bryan Williams and Vito Bella
- Kane Russell of Halo Neuroscience - Bill and I doing that interview and wearing our Halos in Kona
- Ken Axford on bike handling skills
- Billy the Kid Edwards
Please support the brands that support the show and our listeners.
- BioTropicLabs.com - BioTropicLabs develops sports supplements to give you the ultimate edge in training for sports performance success. Engineered by leading world-class athletes and trainers with well-researched best of breed products. I've started taking the AFA formulation which was developed to oxygenate muscles, boost power, increase muscle growth, heighten alertness. It's great for those high intensity sessions and I've felt pretty good the last few workouts I've been using it. Check our more at biotropiclabs.com or go to the MHE Sponsors page. Either way, use the code "MILEHIGH20" to get 20% off your order.
- Total Immersion -Use code MHETI10 to get 10% off items in your cart
- Effortless endurance for 49.99
- Freestyle mastery for 59.99.
- Get excellently design helmets, glasses and gear from Rudy Project and use code MHE30 to get 30% off your full price items.
- Check out Halo Sport from Halo Neuroscience. 20 minutes of neural priming with the Halo Headset gives you an hour of neural plasticity to work and lock in the muscle movement that leads to strength, power and endurance. Use code MHE150 to save $150.
- Give TrainingPeaks Premium account a try. Use MHE30
- All of these discounts can be found at milehighendurance on the Sponsors page.
If you are enjoying the show, please let us know by going on iTunes or your podcast player and giving us a review. We put a lot of time and energy into producing high quality interviews with the experts, coaches and pro athletes to help you grow in the sport. Pay that forward and recommend Mile High Endurance to a friend.
That's it for the show. Stay tuned, stay informed, and enjoy the endurance journey!